Learn to Ride! That's right, you can learn to ride and receive a practical, hands-on approach from the professionals at Man O'War Harley-Davidson®'s Riders School! Our Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy will take you every step of the way through your new H-D adventure.
Payments will made upon completion of the registration.
In appreciation of all of our United States Veterans and Active Duty Personnel we want to thank you for your bravery, sacrifice and service. We consider it an honor to serve you. Upon your completion of the H-D Riding Academy New Rider Course, please accept a $75 in-store gift certificate.
*Documentation confirming U. S. Veteran or Active Duty status is required. Forms of documentation accepted are Military I.D., Separation Documents such as DD214 or other officially recognized military identification or paperwork. Please provide this documentation upon arrival for class.
Our motorcycle safety course provides a hands-on experience. You can be assured all our MOW H-D Rider Coaches are trained and certified by the H-D Riding Academy program and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Additionally, each Coach is certified for classroom and range training in the State of Kentucky.
The New Rider Course offers 20 hours of hands-on motorcycle instruction over 2 ½ days. This course fulfills the needs of new riders as well as those with riding experience. Students need only be 16 years old, have the ability to ride a bicycle and possess a current government-issued Driver’s License to participate in the this course.
New Rider Course Fee is $150 for all Kentucky residents and Out of State residents as well. Full payment is required at the time of registration.FIND A CLASS
We are currently not offering weekday classes. All classes are weekend classes Friday through Sunday.
You will be required to wear riding appropriate clothing: long pants, long-sleeved shirt or jacket, over the ankle boots, eye protection, full-fingered gloves, and a DOT approved full face or 3/4 helmet. We do not have loan helmets at this time.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will still be required to take the permit test at your local DMV. After carrying your permit for the required 30-days for anyone over 21 and 180-days for anyone under the age of 21 interval you can then return to your DMV with your permit and class voucher to receive your new motorcycle-endorsed Drivers License. Class voucher does not cover any fees charged by the DMV for the new license.
At least 30 days after the issue date on your motorcycle permit take your motorcycle permit and class voucher to your local DMV at which time you will be issued a new motorcycle-endorsed Drivers License. Class voucher does not cover any fees charged by the DMV for the new license.
Completion of the course can also qualify you for potential discounts from your motorcycle insurance provider.
Get started on your journey as a rider with THIS FREE "Basic Rider Course" handbook. You'll get a quick start on all the basics.
Kentucky residents under the age of 18 are permitted to enroll in the Harley-Davidson Riding Academy New Rider Course one time at no cost. A deposit equal to the class fee of $150 is required to hold the participants class seat. Upon completion of the course, a refund in the amount of $150 will processed. Participants under the age of 18 are required to possess a valid Learner Permit, must have written parental consent and a liability waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian before beginning the course.
1. Do I need to bring my own motorcycle? We provide the motorcycles for each student. Student participants will ride a Harley-Davidson Street 500.
2. What do I wear? Long sleeve shirts, Long pants - void of any holes, above the ankle boots, full finger gloves, protective eye wear and full face or 3/4 helmet.
3. Do I need to bring a helmet? Yes, the State of Kentucky requires all participants
in a motorcycle safety course to wear a full face or 3/4 helmet. Half helmets and shells are not permitted. We do not have helmets to loan at this time.
4. Where is the class held? Students will meet at MOW Harley-Davidson for class on
Friday evening. On Saturday and Sunday we will meet at Frederick Douglass High School for the riding exercises each day. Details will be included in your confirmation email upon registration.
5. Do I need to do anything prior to the class? You will need to complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's 3-hour self-paced eCourse no more than 30 days prior to arriving for your first night of class. Details and a link will be included in your confirmation email upon registration.
6. What does the schedule look like? Friday 5 PM to 9 PM at Man O' War Harley-Davidson. Saturday and Sunday 8 AM - 4 PM at Frederick Douglass High School.
7. What happens if I cancel before class begins or I'm unable to complete the course? In the event a student needs to cancel their registration, we will be glad to reschedule or refund your $150 fee. However, to receive a $150 refund the cancellation must be received by the Riding Academy Manager 5 days prior to your class start date. If a student does not complete the riding course we will be glad to help the student find another date to return to complete the course. There is no extra charge to a student returning to complete the course.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Riding Academy Manager: Theresa McFadden
THERESA at 859-253-2461
Please read the frequently asked questions above, you may find the answers you are looking for prior to contacting Theresa.